The Settlers of Catan board game has recently been discovered in the US and is currently near the top of Amazons bestselling games.
This game was invented in Germany by Klaus Teuber in 1995 and soon after won the game of the year award and was followed up by expansions and extensions to allow more players and game scenarios.
The object of this strategy board game for 3 to 4 players is to win 10 “victory points” by way of building settlement and cities or the longest road or largest army. Each turn consists of a roll of the dice, resource collection by players with settlements on a resource tile, resource trading and building. The 4th edition game board is made up of 19 hex tiles which each designate a resource of wool, brick, logs, grain or ore and water and harbor pieces which snap together and make up the perimeter of the board. Settlement, cities and roads are bought with resource cards which are hidden from other players and kept in players hands during the game.
Pros and Cons of Settlers of Catan:
– Is for 3 to 4 players
– During each turn everyone gets to do something like collect their resources and trade with who evers turn it is.
– Plan your own different strategies to win.
– The game board and pieces are high quality materials and nice artwork.
– Game board is designed to be set up differently each new game, so the game play doesn’t get repetitious.
– Settlers of Catan game is fun and keeps all players engaged with what their opponents are doing.
– You can choose from many expansions for more scenarios and different challenges and extensions to allow 5 or 6 and even 7 or 8 players.
– Not designed for two players without an expansion.
– Game may take over 2 hours first time to set up and learn the rules.
– Many small parts to keep track of and put away.
– 4th edition game board outer tiles may be difficult to keep flat on the table causing hex tiles to move out of place.
– Different game editions are not compatible with each others expansions, example: can’t mix 3rd edition game with 4th edition new expansions.
But the great game play wins over the trivial cons of this game, as The Settlers of Catan is currently the best selling board game for good reason, highly recommended!