Ajax Autocomplete for jQuery allows you to easily create autocomplete/autosuggest boxes for text input fields.
It is built with focus on performance. Results for every query are cached and pulled from local cache for the same repeating query. If there are no results for particular query it stops sending requests to the server for other queries with the same root.
3. Autosuggest / Autocomplete with Ajax v. 2.1.3
The AutoSuggest class adds a pulldown menu of suggested values to a text field. The user can either click directly on a suggestion to enter it into the field, or navigate the list using the up and down arrow keys, selecting a value using the enter key. The values for the suggestion list are to provided as XML, or as JSON (by a PHP script, or similar). The results of the first request are cached on the client machine and are filtered as the user continues to type, to reduce the number of requests hitting the server.
In the JSON example above a callback function is passed to the autoSuggest instance. It is called when the user selects an entry, and inserts the entry id into a hidden field (visible for this example). In the XML example below supplementary information is being displayed along with the names, in this case an english county.
4. AutoCompleter (v1.1)
This AutoCompleter script for MooTools provides the functionality for text suggestion and completion. It features different data-sources (local, JSON or XML), a variety of user interactions, custom formatting, multiple selection, animations and much more.
5. jquery-autocomplete – a jQuery Autocompleter
This is modification of Dylan Verheul’s jQuery Autcomplete plug-in.
- Supports local data array (can now use w/out AJAX).
- Limit dropdown to XX number of results (good for limiting the results to users)
- Autofill pre-populates text box as you type
- New findValue() method can be used to programmatically determine if the value in the box is a valid option. (Useful for verifying the text entered is an existing value option.)
- Dropdown options now correctly re-position themselves on each display (which means they adjust for changing to the DOM)
- Dropdown box defaults to the width of the input field its attached to (you can manually specify a larger width as well)
- Better emulates Windows autocomplete boxes (for example: hitting delete and retyping the same box will now bring back the dropdown menu)
7. jQuery plugin: Autocomplete
Autocomplete an input field to enable users quickly finding and selecting some value, leveraging searching and filtering.
By giving an autocompleted field focus or entering something into it, the plugin starts searching for matching entries and displays a list of values to choose from. By entering more characters, the user can filter down the list to better matches.
This can be used to enter previous selected values, eg. for tags, to complete an address, eg. enter a city name and get the zip code, or maybe enter email addresses from an addressbook.
It’s hard to find good examples or examples that match everyone’s needs. An Ajax autosuggest script is supposed to help the visitor and present in real time (as they type) some possible results based on their entered words/characters.
9. Autocomplete at jQuery.com
Autocomplete, when added to an input field, enables users to quickly find and select from a pre-populated list of values as they type, leveraging searching and filtering.
By giving an Autocomplete field focus or entering something into it, the plugin starts searching for entries that match and displays a list of values to choose from. By entering more characters, the user can filter down the list to better matches.
This can be used to enter previous selected values, for example you could use Autocomplete for entering tags, to complete an address, you could enter a city name and get the zip code, or maybe enter email addresses from an address book.
The Simple JQuery AutoComplete Plugin allows you to add autocomplete functionality easily in text fields on your site.
It also has resources to bring other data in the autocomplete list, as the id of the element, performing a callback function to store these data in other inputs.
11. Tapestry and AJAX: Autocompleter and InlineEditBox